Finally, YYG has announced the next comp! Unfortunately, I don’t think it’s what any of us have been expecting at all. The following is a quote from the YYG Glog:
After a long wait it’s time to have a new competition. The theme for the first competition of 2010 will be “Design A HandHeld Game”. We want you to design games using either Game Maker 7 or Game Maker 8 that would be suitable to run on a typical handheld device. That is no keyboard, a fixed screen size and other fixed hardware limitations.
The rules of the competition are as follows :-
- Your Game must be less than 10MB (uncompressed)
- .EXE only…NO ZIP files.
- Maximum Screen Size 480X272
- No DLLs or other extension packages can be used.
- No Installation packages.
- No use of the registry.
- Game Controls must use cursor keys and space-bar only, escape to quit
- Game Maker versions 7 or 8 only
- All games must be tagged “Competition” and “05″
- Contest finishes March 30th 2010 at Midnight GMT
As you can see from the above, my first statement was right. So far they are saying NO extension files, only the solid .EXE file. Plus, it has to be a very small screen and use next to no keys at all. This is to prove that Game Maker games can still be good if played on a portable gaming system (iPhone, GameBoy, PSP, NintendoDS, etc). I’m not sure if by all this they mean that the top few winner’s games will become portable-enabled, but it sure would be awesome.
As always, the prize money is as below.
- 1st Place – $1000
- 2nd Place – $500
- 3rd Place – $250
Also, with the new comp will come many new featured games. Hopefully I can *finally* get one nailed.